Eastern Market on Capitol Hill
Often referred to as the “heart and soul” of Capitol Hill, Eastern Market was voted in 2007 as one of the top 10 neighborhoods in the country by the American Planning Association.
The Eastern Market was designed by Adolf Cluss and was in continuous operation as a public market from 1873 until April 30, 2007. It was the first in a larger city-owned public market system, initiated to urbanize
Washington, make orderly provision for the distribution of goods to its residents, and serve as a magnet to draw residents. The Market was expanded in 1908 with the addition of the Center and North Halls designed by Snowden Ashford. At the start of the 20th century, the Eastern Market was recognized as the unofficial “town center” of Capitol Hill. It is the last of the city’s public markets still in operation.
The market nearly closed because of competition from grocery store chains and a decline in neighborhood investment. Local residents fought to keep it open, and the area has since been revitalized. Eastern Market continues to host a thriving farmers’ market. Fresh meats, baked goods and cheeses are sold from indoor stalls, and fresh produce is sold outside along the tent-covered sidewalk. Artisans and antiques dealers also sell their goods outside the market on weekends, making Eastern Market a popular stop for locals as well as tourists. The Market 5 Gallery organizes art shows, music and theater performances, and craft sales at the Eastern Market.
Map of the Eastern Market neighborhood
- Eastern Market, a More European Way of Living
- Take a video tour (in HD) of the Market
- Official Eastern Market website
- National Register of Historic places Eastern Market website
- Birdseye view of the Market and surrounding area
- Eastern Market voted one of the top 10 neighborhoods in the country
- Eastern Market, Corner Store & Cornerstone